Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
When I was actively contributing to my SEP, I had separate accounts for the SEP and traditional IRA.
When you reach 70 1/2 and must begin taking distributions, the required distribution is based on your total in all IRAs.
At about the stage where you now are, I rolled the assets of the traditional IRA into the SEP and proceeded with just one account.

Actually if you were actively contributing to both, your broker should have no trouble keeping track of what is a SEP contribution and what is a traditional IRA contribution, but there is a distinction.

Since you are contributing to neither at this point, I see no reason for the separate accounts.

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.