Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
When I was in my first year of law school I was married and pregnant. I wanted to spend as much time at home as possible, so I decided I would put in 8 "billable hours" of study per day, and call it a day -- and that included class time. I studied in the library and at home. I worked hard but I didn't let it become all-consuming. The first semester, I was totally paranoid about the people who spoke in class all the time and were always talking loudly about their study groups in the student lounge. I thought they were going to blow me out of the water for sure.

Guess what? When grades came out, I was number one in my class.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to avoid the other students and their questions like the plague. The "broken record" technique can be a lifesaver at times: "Sorry, I don't like to talk about class on my break time." "Sorry, I'm on a break and I'd rather not talk about law right now." If they ask you direct questions about how such-and-such is coming along, just say "fine" and refust to elaborate. I guess, bottom line, I think you're wrong -- you CAN close yourself off from the others, at least psychically.

This will, possibly, involve a little social ostracism. It wasn't a problem for me because I had a life already, but I can see how it might be a problem for you. Can you try to spend some time doing something other than law school? Maybe take a yoga class or painting class or whatever? What about that new guy?

Finally, the first semester is the worst because nobody has gotten any grades and it's driving them nuts. After grades come out, it should calm down some.

Hang in there and email me if you want to chat further.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.