Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
When in doubt look at the numbers

I can't find any 2021 stats on LA suicides, but in previous years it has run slightly over the US average and was running at about 16 suicides per 100,000 population per year. With a state population of 4.6 million that is means that about 2 people per day take their own lives. Or 730 per year

https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/annual/measur...

Total COVID deaths in LA since the start is 9560. Since the start was about a year ago then this will do as an annual figure.

So it looks like the COVID death rate is 13X that of the suicide rate. Now it is reasonable to argue that there has been a surge in suicide late in the year, but the same holds true for COVID.

So the question is, why would your associate in LA report this fact. Maybe he is on the police police call out list for suicide and his name starts with AA. More probably he buys into false narratives and is using his expert position to give credence to his argument.

So next time you talk to him, ask him where his data is coming from
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you thought Leftists hadn’t already done enough to destroy small businesses in 2020

Just a day ago you were complaining about the leftist companies moving to Texas to take advantage of tax laws.

How did they destroy business in 2020?
No. of Recommendations: 9
How did they destroy business in 2020? - BobsDonuts

-----------------

Forcing closures, extending well beyond reason, then allowing 25% and 50% occupancy which is a slow bleed to death, then closing again, then re-opening, only to close again in a few weeks.

How do you maintain a workforce and a supply chain with no ability to plan, schedule or anticipate abrupt rule changes. Oh, let's not forget the fines, oh the fines. Lots of tearful stories on the news about family business that have been built and operated sucessfully for decades are now closing forever.

Did you miss this somehow?
No. of Recommendations: 5
I live in the Republican state of Ohio. We have had limited occupancy, closings, limited hours, and more. The Democrats must be wearing Governor DeWine costumes and tricking everyone!

TMFEdyboom223
Did you miss this somehow?

I missed a lot of it because I observed the suggested "stay away from crowded places" guidelines as did many people I know. I recall that these came from the presidents advisors once his denial of the situation was demonstrably wrong. Around that time Trump washed his hands of the matter placing the burden squarely on the state state Governors (where it belongs) with VP Pence and his task force providing guidance.

Overall the governor did their thing, a few had conflicts with metropolitan mayors (thinking GA)over what was best course of action. The underling dichotomy being between the health of the population vs the health of small business. The results to date are 5,000,000 dead and 163,000 (as of Dec 2020) small business failures.

The vast majority of small business failures are in the categories of Restaurants, Retail, Bars and Beauty Services. A study by PNAS and a piece by CNBC sheds some light onto underlying causes

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/30/17656
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/16/yelp-data-shows-60percent-of...

Most small businesses failed had less than two weeks of reserve on hand. The cited reason for failure was the drop in customer demand for their services. They also site the complexity and delays in the relief bill as a contributing factor, however for most this would only delay the inevitable.

From a geopolitical consideration, most small business failures as a percentage came from the states of Hawaii, California, Utah, Texas, Utah, Florida and New York. Hawaii and Florida's problems are obviously tied to the drop in tourism. TX, CA and NY support the notion that that failures were due to the fall in traffic rather than local regulation. Of note, the midwestern and mountain states did fare better (other than UT) and this is attributed to the relative scarceness of small business in these areas and the willingness of the local population to support them.

I am confident that small business will recover once COVID is in remission. People will see opportunities and meet the need. Many of them the same people who were victims of business failures. That is more than can be said for the five million people who are gone forever
500,000 dead and you're worried about profits?
" That is more than can be said for the five million people who are gone forever"

I think you mean 500,000
I think you mean 500,000

Yes, brain pffffttttt
As I posted before, funeral director in LA told my friend, he was burying more people who died of suicide and drug overdoses than Covid victims.

There is price to pay for mindless restrictions and lock downs on the young and the old.
No. of Recommendations: 3
As I posted before, funeral director in LA told my friend, he was burying more people who died of suicide and drug overdoses than Covid victims.

No, he didn't.
No. of Recommendations: 5
>>As I posted before, funeral director in LA told my friend, he was burying more people who died of suicide and drug overdoses than Covid victims.<<

No, he didn't. - Feedme

------------------

Amazing that you could know this since neither the friend nor the Funeral Director were identified.
No. of Recommendations: 1
As I posted before, funeral director in LA told my friend, he was burying more people who died of suicide and drug overdoses than Covid victims.<<

No, he didn't. - Feedme

------------------

Amazing that you could know this since neither the friend nor the Funeral Director were identified.

It's not necessary to identify sources that are made-up.
No. of Recommendations: 2
When in doubt look at the numbers

I can't find any 2021 stats on LA suicides, but in previous years it has run slightly over the US average and was running at about 16 suicides per 100,000 population per year. With a state population of 4.6 million that is means that about 2 people per day take their own lives. Or 730 per year

https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/annual/measur...

Total COVID deaths in LA since the start is 9560. Since the start was about a year ago then this will do as an annual figure.

So it looks like the COVID death rate is 13X that of the suicide rate. Now it is reasonable to argue that there has been a surge in suicide late in the year, but the same holds true for COVID.

So the question is, why would your associate in LA report this fact. Maybe he is on the police police call out list for suicide and his name starts with AA. More probably he buys into false narratives and is using his expert position to give credence to his argument.

So next time you talk to him, ask him where his data is coming from
‘A Nightmare Every Day’: Inside an Overwhelmed Funeral Home

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/us/covid-los-angeles-fune...

Beverly Hills has had 32 deaths. Santa Monica has had 150. East Los Angeles — an unincorporated part of Los Angeles County that is one of the largest Mexican-American communities in the United States — has had 388.

With more than 52,000 virus-related deaths, California has recorded the most of any state but about average per capita. At Continental, the brutal reality of the death toll hits the gut first, the eyes second.

At the entrance of the chapel lobby, look first to the left: four bodies under white sheets on hardware-store-style metal shelves originally designed to hold something other than human lives. Next to those four were another four, and more in the middle, and more to the right. The 31 bodies on the shelves rested on plywood and cardboard beds, their heads on Styrofoam block pillows. The racks were so tall in one corner that the finial of an ornate chandelier cleared it by inches.
Latino numbers are high because they live 12 to a room. Share space on a denser than most average.