No. of Recommendations: 1
When people go to sell their houses, buyers want a salt water pool. A chlorine pool is kind of old fashioned in the world of real estate around here. The fact that it is called a "salt water pool" doesn't really mean the water is salty. It is not salty like the ocean at all. It just means it is not a chlorine pool. I think if we were to ask pool construction companies where we are, they haven't sold a chlorine pool in a few years. Everyone wants a salt water pool now.

Technically, salt pools are still chlorine pools....it's just a different source of chlorine. A "SWG" system is a saltwater chlorine generator. It uses special coated plates and electrical current so separate the sodium and chlorine molecules of the salt through electrolysis. The chlorine is still the sanitizer. You're just making your chlorine from salt instead of pouring in liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite), or adding granules of dichlor or pucks of trichlor or other forms.

The beauty of the saltwater system is that the salt isn't used it. It's separated, the chlorine does its job, and the sodium and chlorine will later recombine back into salt. You may lose a bit over time to splash out, leaks, and rain overflow (if you're tropical like me), etc. I tend to add a 40# bag once a season to keep it topped up.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.