No. of Recommendations: 3
I was in Paris beginning on Sunday having come from London on the Eurostar. My main purpose for this trip was to go to atelier des lumières. I didn't have time to go when I was there in August and it fascinated me. A friend joined me on Monday and we had tickets for Tuesday(should you want to go, normally tickets are only available on line).

We were both planning to fly out on Dec 6. Once we had the news of the strike and protests beginning today, we went through all the options we could think of(she had come by train from Amsterdam). Other than flying on Dec 4, there were really none - trains reservations were not available and we didn't find rental cars to go out of the country. We were returning to different places but both were on United and they had put up a waiver because of the strike. We each got rescheduled for Dec 4 and are back in the US. Hers was a nonstop; not possible for me but I was connecting in Munich and once I was there, I really didn't care.

My lessons - pay attention to local news and believe it. Be grateful that money really didn't enter into the decision(I may get points back from Hilton but whatever) because had I not been able to rebook, I would have moved on to buying a ticket anywhere.

Interesting trip but I'd rather not repeat feeling like I HAD to get somewhere. If you want to add anecdotes to strikes in France you experienced, you may want to look at the news to see the extent of this one.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.