Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
when the oppressed rise up and attack their oppressor, we need to ask: Who deserves the greater condemnation?

I read your post the other day and immediately wanted to reply. But I decided to wait a bit while I calmed down.

I AM AN AMERICAN and proud of it. My country is not an "oppressor" - quite the opposite. Over the centuries, we have lost American lives fighting for the freedom of others. I don't think it's a topic "too difficult to think about" as you suggest. Yes, American (and other Allied forces) killed people. It was a war. Vietnam was not a "declared" war but it was war nevertheless. Unfortunately, in a war, civilians get killed. But in most instances, civilians are not the primary targets - even in a war. (Before you bring up Hiroshima and Nagasaki again, we were trying to end a war which we did not start.)

Here in NY, those office buildings were filled with civilians - at their desks or going to their offices. And they were the target (along with all of civilization, in my opinion). So, pardon me, but I think the greater condemnation goes to the terrorists and their supporters, not to the US.

You are entitled to your opinion. I may not agree with you in the slightest but since I believe in freedom of speech, I will defend your right to have an opinion and to express it.

Christina
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.