Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
When to sell is a very, very difficult question, I would say more difficult than buy. When in doubt, you can avoid a stock from buying. When you own, avoiding is not an option!!!

Now, Let us see some of the usual suspects (on when to sell advice :))

- unless the business prospects change don't sell; Rarely you see a very clear pivot or deterioration and you have an opportunity to sell without corresponding price deterioration; Example I was able to get out of CTT (lucky) when they closed TTT (a failed investment) with almost at recent high price; How lucky you have to be??? Most of the time, the price precedes business outcomes becoming visible to us; Or in other words, price gets adjusted for current conditions, and making it difficult to sell

- Valuation; On a very high growth name it is somewhat easy and you can see the exuberance in price clearly and you can get out; for REIT's the overvaluation is every so slightly; It requires very nimble approach; For ex: BRX briefly touched $25.8, I had a sell order for $26, and the order didn't go through. REIT's don't get very overvalued, so bit difficult.

I try to see peer valuation, overall cap rates, interest rates to scale in and out of REIT's. I also follow different approach to REIT's compared to other sectors.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.