Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,
My HSA account has accumulated quite a large amount of money. I have never used it at all. I figured I would avoid using it as long as possible, using my taxable account for as long as possible, in order to allow the HSA account to grow tax free. I figure as long as I have money in my taxable account, I'll leave my IRA accounts untouched so I don't have to pay tax on the withdrawals.

I just turned 65.

Is there any reason to start using HSA funds sooner than my above plan? After age 65, is there a reason to ONLY use the funds for medical purposes? I just read:
"After you reach age 65 or if you become disabled, you can withdraw HSA funds without penalty, but the amounts withdrawn will be taxable as ordinary income if not used for qualified medical expenses."
So if I use the funds for medical purposes, it is NOT taxed as ordinary income. How is it taxed if used for medical purposes?

And finally, can I wait until I am older and my taxable account is dwindled further and then withdraw the funds to reimburse myself for decades of medical expenses I've been paying out of my taxable account?

Thanks,
RB
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.