Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When we received our tax packages, we found in the bill an "ACA surcharge" of $100 for each of us. We asked about it and we were told by this new tax guy that he had to create a huge, complicated spreadsheet to respond to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Further, his assistant had to take eight hours of courses to learn about the ACA and all of his clients were being charged this same $100.

I use TaxAct for my taxes, not a paid personal tax preparer. They did not charge $100 more for the program this year, but about $18 total, which is about the same as last year.

My former employer pays United Health Care for my medical insurance and for my prescription plan.

The only thing I dislike is that I must pay $12.10 a month from my Social Security for Prescription Drug coverage even though my former employer already pays for my prescription drug coverage. I called the IRS and they say I must pay that even though I do not have Medicare part D.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.