Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When we sell or buy stocks, is the trading commission considered within Capital Gain/Loss? For example, if I were to buy 10 shares of ABC stocks at $10 + $12 Commission) and I decided it was a tanking company, so I sold 10 shares of ABC stocks at $10 + $12 Commission), can I write the $24 as a loss or based on IRS, it's irrelevant and I eat the Commission?

The $24 is a loss. If you held ABC for one year or less, it is a short-term capital loss (Sch D line 1). If one year and a day or more, it is a long-term capital loss (Sch D line 8).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.