Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
When writing a novel, do you keep it in one long file, or do you break it up as you write it and put it in different documents??

The answer to this depends partly on the capabilities of the program you are using.

Last Spring, for my technical writing class, we had a requirement of being able to work on our project on the computers in the classroom... this meant I had to work in Word. And Word -- in my experience -- flaked out as soon as I hit 30 pages. (You might get more if there aren't graphics involved.)

We do 1000 page manuals at work, and the only software we'll use is FrameMaker by Adobe. Frame handles very large documents pretty well.

But, in my work writing, I find it handy to break a volume into separate documents (chapters). It has the advantage of being able to open multiple documents at one time... so I can copy or check what I've written in one chapter for use in another.

- Kate
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.