No. of Recommendations: 0
When you are taking a RMD after age 70 1/2, I imagine that it has to go into a taxable account (.e.g. savings or investment). And since you've already (presumably) reached the point where 85% of your Social Security Benefit is taxed ... Wouldn't it make sense to withdraw an addition amount from your IRA, say just short of entering the next marginal tax rate, and roll that amount into a Roth IRA?

If that is permissable, doing so would lessen the negative affects of RMDs. Doing this year after year, one should reach a point that the RMDs are too small to cause SS to be taxed. And you could supplement those small RMDs with tax free money from your Roth.

Your thoughts please!!!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.