Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you do TurboTax, it asks you to provide the names and addresses of the charities you donate to. Does it send this information to the IRS when you e-file?

No. The IRS doesn't want it. The exception would be if you need to file form 8283 for your non-cash charitable contributions. The name and address of those charities is a data item on that form and is part of the data sent to the IRS.

What about the various worksheets?

No. At least I'm pretty sure that's a NO for almost all of the worksheets. Sometimes it's necessary to file a supplemental schedule with the IRS. If the instructions to the form say you need to attach additional information, then that information is almost certainly sent to the IRS as a part of your tax return.

In general, if it's on a form or on a statement that is required to be included as part of a paper return, it's also part of the data sent to the IRS when filing electronically.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.