Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you mail a check...

The last checks I mailed were in Christmas cards. I put them in the mailbox at the post office here in CT moments before the last (5 pm) pickup on Christmas Eve (Thursday). Miraculously they both arrived in VT on Saturday!

On the other hand last week a check sent by a bank in California arrived eleven days after the date on the check (no postmark date). (Check deposited within fifteen minutes of opening the envelope using my bank's app on my phone. What a great invention!)

Yes, when you pay electronically, you do all the work.

I use my bank's bill pay system. When a bill comes in the mail or email I open up the bank in my browser and set the amount and date for them to be paid. At that point my work is done. For some accounts (charge cards, utilities) the bank can pay electronically. Otherwise they mail the check. No charge. I always give them a date five or six days before the due date. I literally can't remember the last time I mailed a check to pay a bill.

(OT, but related to checks. Two years after my wife passed on I finally had new checks printed with just my name. A few weeks later and totally unplanned I put a deposit down on a house, and had a new address within a couple of months. I think I used about five of the new checks before having another batch printed with my new address.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.