Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
When you pay off the car, the lender/lienholder will "sign-off" on your title. If you look on the title certificate, there usually is a place for that. It is your responsibility to then take that document to the department of motor vehicles and have them issue a new certificate, without a lienholder. If your state charges sales tax, they will collect it at that time. Until you take care of this, you are the registered owner, but the lender is the lienholder or legal owner. It's not complicated, just make sure you are meticulous about what you are doing, and keep copies of everything. Be accurate about the VIN and milage...mistakes there will haunt you later. Good Luck!
Print the post  


Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.