Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
When you say 'until you are finished with the idea', do you mean the chapter, or the entire work?

When I'm finished with the idea. Sometimes the idea keeps feeding itself and you can type so fast you can't even believe it. It's like you rise above the task of typing and the story just takes over. It writes itself. There's no definition of when to stop and edit. It's just when you run out of steam and you find yourself staring at the keyboard sweating and breathing heavily; that's when you're done with the thought.

I am a very strong believer in letting the words flow as they come. There's plenty of time to go back and edit. But, the creative process comes and goes like the wind. You have to capture those moments as best you can.

Have you ever heard of musicains who write their best songs in 5 minutes? That's because of this process where you don't worry about mistakes or what sounds right or wrong, it just flows forth, like a tidal wave building inside you.

I've written unbelieveable stuff in a very short time. And it's because of this. In fact, I've writeen just by sitting down and typing. I have no idea where I'm going, but I just start typing about what a nice day it is, and how things are going in my life, and next thing I know, I start focusing right down into something meaningful, and that's where the story begins.

-godzarf

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.