Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Where did you take this class?

Mark

We took it at a local shop. Their website is http://www.cooksandcompany.com/

Their instructor for the class was their regional Wusthof representative. (Which of course made him biased, but that was okay...I'd already formed my bias in favor of Wustof anyway.)

The price on this class was actually quite reasonable as it included our choice of two 3" Wusthof Classic Paring Knives...so we got our $35.00 worth right off the bat. (It was $35.00 each, so that meant we got two knives. Obviously we chose different styles.)

Frankly, it was almost worth the $35.00 just to see the 14" Cooks Knive that Wusthof makes. Of course they make it to order at about $700.00 a pop. Apparently it has to be hand forged and they've only sold about 20 of the suckers in the past 150 years. 14" doesn't sound all that big, but trust me...when it comes to a knife...it's huge.

This shop offers a variety of courses by a variety of guest "chefs." The only other one that I've taken was an Indian course...which was entirely "demonstration" but it included dinner. (The chef for that course was the author of "The Tumeric Trail: Memoirs of an Indian Childhood."

Check your area(s) to see if you have a shop like this one and then see if they offer class schedules. They're going to range in price, skills and interaction, of course from one place to another (or even over the course of a season), but they can be fun and comparable to the price of a "nice" evening out.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.