Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey Fools,

First-time poster here! I am a 30-yr old, fairly new-to-the game-but-willing-to-take-risks-because-I'm-young investor. I have a question about a 401(k) allocation suggestion that I found on this site.

I have about $25k in my 401(k) fund right now, and I'm looking to stray away from the age-based "2040" target portfolios through SEI investments and Fidelity, mostly because I'm picking up some pretty bad vibes around here about them (due to higher expense loads, not aggressive enough, etc.). That, and I've been pretty disappointed with their returns in the last 1.5 years, given the market's rebound.

In a very good Retirement article on The Fool's website, I saw the following chart on some advised allocation percentages for an "aggressive" retirement fund:

Large-cap US stocks: 40%
Small-cap US stocks: 20%
Foreign stocks: 20%
REITs: 5%
Bonds: 15%

I actually have two questions about this:

1) Where does a mid-cap index fund fit into this picture? Does their risk/return lean more to the large- or small-cap side? How can I fit a mid-cap into this allocation structure? I have Perkins Mid-Cap Value (JMCVX) available to me, and I like the looks of it - I just don't know where it fits here.

2) There are a few foreign stocks to pick from, some more risky than others. Emerging Markets being the riskiest. What do you think this specific asset allocation had in mind for "Foreign stocks" - something risky or conservative?

I've also been using mainly alphas and expense ratios when considering funds - I'm willing to pay for a higher alpha, but if all things look equal, I'm taking the fund with the lower expense ratio. This is why the Perkins Mid-Cap looked so attractive. High alphas at a reasonable expense.

Any feedback on my two questions would be greatly appreciated!

Let's make some money,
Carl
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.