Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Phantom - I've been selling books too but unfortunately, they are ones that I bought (and paid full price for) myself. This was back in my unfrugal days and waaaay before I began dumpster diving (5 months ago).

So, where do you find 'em beside the library? I would guess books stores.

Also, how much time do you spend on diving? I work fulltime and I'm usually really busy. I've only made time for diving behind a grocery store on my way home from work. They threw away a book once though :-)

thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
So, where do you find 'em beside the library? I would guess books stores.

Nope. Bookstores rip off books' covers before they dump them. That way they can do some sort of "lost or stolen" deal, which is advantageous to them.

I get all of my books at the library now, but it seems to me that I've gotten a few at thrift store dumpsters. I'm not sure.

Anybody else want to share secrets on how to get books?

Also, how much time do you spend on diving? I work fulltime and I'm usually really busy.

Me, too. So I dive only at the library these days. My younger son (Dwalin on the Fool) and I go there on the way to other things. He helps me dive and carry stuff, and I give him 10% of the net. We're both happy about the deal!

phantomdiver
No. of Recommendations: 1
Bookstores rip off books' covers before they dump them. That way they can do some sort of "lost or stolen" deal, which is advantageous to them.

I think they do this if they are unsold. Then they get credit from the publisher (or jobber/whoever). It saves them having to ship the unsold ones back and they're not supposed to be sold anywhere else then.

Carol
I think they do this if they are unsold. Then they get credit from the publisher (or jobber/whoever). It saves them having to ship the unsold ones back and they're not supposed to be sold anywhere else then.

Right -- thanks for the correction and clarification!

phantomdiver
College dorms after people mvoe out. Some people throw out still valuable books! I made hundreds as an undergrad doing this.