Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Where does our compass point.
(Just some reflections)

We each travel a path through life and have a compass that points us through the forests of doubt, across the plains of despair, across our mountains of pain, along our coasts of challenge and hopefully to glades and streams of hope and life and love.

My compass is as those of mariners of old, a compass rose with points to follow, it points me true and guides me by sun and moon with stars and constellations above me.

A point called truth which reminds me to do as I say and say what I do.
(Speak though with care and compassion since even the worst among us deserve such)

Another called sharing, the hardest it seems to do.
(It was so much easier when I shared the milk and cookies in Kindergarten)

The stars wheel above me and Big Bear and Little Bear watch as I hike the nights.
(Bear and Raven and Wolf and Rock guide me as I travel)

The compass has a direction called caring, of things great and more importantly small.
(We are but travelers, here for but a moment, we must give back this world at our end to our children in better shape than we found it)

A point I find called responsibility to others, my family, friends, community, and nation.
(I should smooth the path for others, as others have smoothed my path)

Mother moon shines upon me across these plains, giving soft light to guide my feet.
(A light in the darkness is my knowledge and reason)

To my south is reflection, for a life unexamined is a sad distorted refection.
(My mis-spent youth of herding sheep, hiking, and sitting upon desert rocks gave me swaths of time for reflection)

A arrow points to teaching others what we know, skills, knowledge, and any wisdom we stumble upon.
(A minute in nature to just hear, another minute just to see, a third to smell the good earth, a fourth to feel the world upon which we walk, and last a minute to reflect on what we almost missed. Is five minutes too much?)

A dawn will always come, gifting us with new light, new sight.
Our compass is there to guide us through the darkest nights, the storms of our lives.
Build a strong compass and follow your paths with your guides, friends, and live.

Remember the little things for your compass not just great ones; to share as you can, to hold hands in this uncertain world, to help others, put things back where found them, to smooth others paths where able, teach a little, sing a little, a nap once in a while, care for yourself, for others, for creatures great and small.

Remember the greatness of a nation (not a homeland) is not in how well we treated the powerful, wealthy, and famous....it is how well our nation treated the least among us, the creatures who have no voice to sing in sadness, the forests, the plains, the mountains, the bayous and glades, the seashore, the last, least, small quiet places. How we treat the powerlesss and our small blue planet is our measure of greatness, our compass should point to this.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.