No. of Recommendations: 0
I’m sure some people will this is specious, or perhaps I’m trolling, but I’m serious here.

If I have a heating vent which is leaking, say, in the floor between my (finished) basement and first floor, why does it matter? The “heat” ends up heating the basement or the channel with the duct in it, and it eventually migrates out to the rest of the house before radiating out through the windows and walls. Well, wouldn’t that channel end up being heated anyway, just more slowly? It’s not as though the basement can be at 70 degrees and the channel around the duct at 50, can it?

(Yeah, I understand you want the heat to go where you want it to go, but in the scheme of things, if it was perfect and all the heat made it through the registers, wouldn’t some of it go back through the walls or floors and heat the heating channel anyway?)

When I heat the basement, doesn’t that heat eventually just radiate through the floor and into the living room above? Even if the floor is “insulated” - eventually the insulation (aka: the air trapped in the Fiberglas) comes to room temperature and as more heat gets added to one side it has to leave the other side, right?

I’m asking because I’m still screwing around with the idea of floor radiant heat in part of the (new) basement, and (ignoring hot spots from poor design) it seems to me that heat is heat. If I put some of the coils in a wall, won’t they also radiate heat out into the room and accomplish the same thing, more or less? Am I making this more complicated than I need to? It seems so, but I keep thinking about it so any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.