Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
(where else could I do faux Shakespere?)

faux??? Shakespere????

LakeEffect

I misspoke. The Feste Fragments are indeed from the Bard's pen. It is a fascinating story.

Shakespeare wrote Twelfth Night but, in fact, overwrote it. Since Shakespeare wasn't exactly rich and could not afford to discard vellum he scraped many sheets of ink and reused. However in one period where he was flush he set aside the overwritten parts and, many years later, these vellum sheets were used by PDQ Bach (http://www.schickele.com/) in scoring Concerto for G-string and Pole when he visited England.

When Shakespere wrote Twelfth Night it had to fit into a one night performance at The Globe Theater. Few realize performances in Shakespeare's time started at four in the afternoon and ran until eight with a break at six for a brown-bag supper. In writing Feste's part Shakespeare he rather indulged the role. So the audience could eat, he cut back on Feste's utterances. Also, there was a union dispute with the actor portraying Feste complaining about the amount of words to payment (sixpence per performance) and that elicited a further cut in Feste's lines.

All I have done was to bring to today the eliminated Feste. Using microphogmancy to bring out the ancient writing. Dr. Schickele and I have brought back what was once thought lost. I have posted the Fragments because I believe the world can benefit from even Shakespeare's discards.

There is one last Fragment I have hesitated to include because it ends in mid sentence. Nonetheless, here it is.

Scene: Feste is, as always, living the insomniac life and is prowling atop the castle. He speaks:

The bride eagerly awaits the consummation
yet the groom do tarry.
She awaits and prepares for completion of that desired
Yet time passes and the fires dim and she wonders if not now then when?

Time and tide wait for no man that is assured
Yet in the affairs of man is not time regulated as to completion?
If a date set then should that day be honored and met?
Or is undetermined time a rule befitting convenience?

To make a move doth take pluck.
And say, “And not depend on luck.”
From action the brave do not duck
And the awaiting bride says, “What the fu –”

As I said, incomplete. And in four line meter rather than the five-line stanzas as before. I think Shakespeare was drinking at the time and, while I am on my fourth Kokanee, I understand how it is when you're writing to a deadline. Ha!

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.