Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Where, in your opinion, did the universe get these essential properties?

Well that's a whole separate thread. There could still be some theory of everything that will explain why our universe is the only one that could be. Or it could be that this universe is only one of a near infinite number of universes, all with different properties. Or it could be that ours is the only universe and it was just dumb luck. Or it could be God.

I'll let you know my opinion when I figure it out.

How do you know the universe can operate without "magic", as you put it? What has science figured out and described about the beginning of our universe that gives you confidence that no supernatural agency is needed to make sense of it?

I am a believer in Occam's razor, which means that I don't posit something new and unexplained (like magic) unless I see a need for it. So far, I don't see any compelling evidence that there is a need for anything more than the laws and properties of nature to explain the universe. Therefore, I don't presume there is anything more than that at work.

That's my point . . . he doesn't suspend anything. It was your assertion that he did.

What I assert is that ID creationism requires that God circumvent (or suspend) natural laws. Behe argues that flagella cannot be produced by nature, that's why you need an intelligent designer. And the implicit assumption is that that designer could also not arise from natural processes. Therefore the creation of flagella requires a suspension of nature...something naturally impossible has to happen.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.