Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 85
Please rec this post if you are still reading the posts in KP

Just wanted to get a short census, and please reply if you are still around.

I'm post-call after a 36 hour shift, we got a trauma patient, fell off some scaffolding and had a left ankle fracture with bone sticking out (an open distal tibia-fibula pilon fracture), so I got him washed out, reduced and splinted and ready for the OR before I left today. I got a good reduction so I was proud of my work today.

Thanks to everybody who is still around.

Erick
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Dude, it's summer, we're outside.

Dan
"You know, it's a bull market."-Turkey
No. of Recommendations: 1
What is this place called 'outside'?

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 4
Steve wrote:
"What is this place called 'outside'?"

I've heard there's a place that exists between my automobile and the hospital where human beings do something referred to as "play".

It is a strange notion which requires more explanation. I hear from my patients that people actually "play outside". Most curious.

Please report further on this strange phenomenum. I'm sure we could design a double-blinded prospective randomized study to probe further these issues ;^)

Erick
No. of Recommendations: 3
I've heard there's a place that exists between my automobile and the hospital where human beings do something referred to as "play".

A vicious rumor started by those few who have something called "free time." If its free, how come we don't all have it. I wish somebody would give me some, I'm all out.

:P
doc
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, Erick!

Oh, where have I been... Let me see...

Here...
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15504571

And here...
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15503764

And here...
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15531716

And here...
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15496024

And watching to see in anything happened on KP between weekend reports...

I avoid outside by the way. Something about a nasty substance known as "pollen"... (Ah-choo! Why can't I breath, and why are my eyes on fire?)

Mark.
No. of Recommendations: 4
WOW!!!! More than 50 people still read KP!

Now please help me brainstorm on how to leverage this community. We really can help each other out become better investors and people by sharing our ideas.

I really wish I had more time to post and put my ideas down, but I'll try to bring things here as I can. I urge everybody else to do the same. Please be liberal in reccing good posts.

I got Albert to post on one of his new ideas, OPMR, maybe we can follow it up with some more research. This stock is hitting new highs and has an exciting product in an area of the economy that is not shrinking.

In the Gorilla Game board there was an excellent post on CSCO by ghtober:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15525957

I wouldn't count any of the big tech names out, even though the recovery may take 1,2 or more years.

On of the things I've been thinking about is how to have a balanced long term portfolio that includes some index funds as a base, mechanical investing, TA and high risk rule breaker/young gorilla-type stocks. My goal is really to put the money away for retirement and to be able to invest without looking at the market every day. Who knows, such a thing may not be achievable in this environment, but historically bear markets have lasted much less time than bull markets.

There a re quite a few KARB and KARM stocks I like with the long term in mind. Omahafool's idea of adopt-a-stock still seems like an excellent one, and even posting links to important news items for companies of interest serves a solid purpose.

Thanks for all the support. This weekend I'll be studying the anatomy of the lumbar spine so I can give a presentation on Monday morning.

I'm proud of all of you.

Erick
No. of Recommendations: 6
Hi Erick,

Sounds like you got what you wanted PLUS!!! As a person who goes to doctors, I would like it better if they let you sleep.

One of the things I've been thinking about is how to have a balanced long term portfolio that includes some index funds as a base, mechanical investing, TA and high risk rule breaker/young gorilla-type stocks. My goal is really to put the money away for retirement and to be able to invest without looking at the market every day. Who knows, such a thing may not be achievable in this environment, but historically bear markets have lasted much less time than bull markets.

This sounds great to me! I am still working on MI, but stopping in here occasionally to read about the swing trading. It seems like the only thing going in this flat environment that keeps getting flatter.

I saw that you asked for stuff on ITWO. I did some reporting that I am pretty proud of on the Stock Buying Seminar on ITWO and got some good input from others that is valuable.

By the way, this Board swings. Even if the posts are low, everyone checks in here because all the most knowledgeable post here or get links posted here. The network is still alive.

Anne
No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Anne:

It's good to know that my friends are still around. If you get a chance give us an update on ITWO.

You wrote:
"By the way, this Board swings. Even if the posts are low, everyone checks in here because all the most knowledgeable post here or get links posted here. The network is still alive."

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll continue to post as time permits. The last few days have been rough, with a very heavy workload.

I also had my first patient death, this was a lady who we operated on to put a new hip in place. She had some medical problems, but was doing OK right after surgery. Unfortunately, she started to bleed that night and that caused her clotting factors to give up cascading into liver and kidney failure and a heart attack. I went to check on her in the intensive care unit this afternoon and the nurse informed me that she had expired.

It was very sad, and I got to express my sorrow to her family.

I guess that at one point or another everybody's time is up. As a physician I do take it personally when one of my patients takes a turn for the worse.

Let's all live life to the fullest, OK. Don't be strangers. I like hearing from people, it reminds me that I'm alive and that every day I keep learning something new.

Your friend,

Erick

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Erick,

I am very sorry to hear that you have lost a patient. Sometimes the old bodies can't handle anything more and just give up. Hope that you are living your life as well. Is there any time for that?

I'll post the stuff on ITWO as soon as the grandkids go back home to Mamma and Pappa again. I'm am getting breakfast in bed cooked by my ten year old Sam and toast cooked by my seven year old Anna. It was my birthday today, so I rated first class treatment.

As far as the excitement on the boards, I noticed that I got my third star while explaining, on a thread started by catscanner, that the name comptche comes from an American Indian heritage for the place in which I live. That's just about the level of action around here. The boards are not burning up just now.

Anne