No. of Recommendations: 0
>
Print the post Back To Top
Presente!

Abe
I was watching a show on CUBA on the Travel Channel. Now, no different than Florida or Paris or anywhere else, I have little doubt the Travel Channel is partially advertising and making all destinations look their best.

But, Cuba is a place like many Americans I've written off as a wasteland when indeed, I saw some things that surprised me about the country.

Anyway, this post isn't about Cuba. But it got me thinking about you, and your views on Communism.

My intent is not to challenge your view, but to understand it so please clarify: Do you see communism as an acceptable, even preferable form of government?

jedi
Do you see communism as an acceptable, even preferable form of government?

jedi

Yes.

Abe

P.S.: In Haiti, which is rather close to Cuba, they have 300.000 child slaves. I hear life in Republica Dominicana is not so much fun for children, either.
OK I wanted to confirm it. So now I ask.

This is out or curiosity, NOT meant to be argumentative. At the end of the day you'll still believe communism is preferable, I'll feel that capitalism and democracy is and that's fine.

Why do you feel communism is preferable?

I sense you are out for fairness, where there's a chicken in every pot, and not a world where one man eats lobster and another doesn't eat?

Take you for instance. You are very well educated Abe. Much more so than the avg citizen in any nation. And while you personally weren't after riches, don't you feel that if you put the time and investment into your education, you do deserve, if you wanted....a degree of reward better than your neighbor who didn't make the effort you did?

Also, don't you feel a human being should have the right to protest Castro, Gorbachev, Bush, Chirac, or whomever without fear of reprisal?

Jedi
I'm rather busy these days. Maybe to-morrow I can get back at you, God willing.

Sorry.

Abe
No. of Recommendations: 1
Why do you feel communism is preferable?

I believe the old folks who founded the theory didn't believe there was a choice. They considered communism inavoidable. Only alternative I seem to remember them mention was 'relapse into barbarie'.

I sense you are out for fairness, where there's a chicken in every pot, and not a world where one man eats lobster and another doesn't eat?

I think communism would be a different way to allocate resources, most of all. And not everybody can eat lobster, anyway. Lots of people suffer from gout. You do not want to revel in lobsters when gout is looming around the corner.

Take you for instance. You are very well educated Abe. Much more so than the avg citizen in any nation. And while you personally weren't after riches, don't you feel that if you put the time and investment into your education, you do deserve, if you wanted....a degree of reward better than your neighbor who didn't make the effort you did?

Believe it or not, I live rather comfortably, and you know that I'm not a rich man at all. Don't need to have much more. I'm more afraid of losing what I have than of becoming stinking rich.

But what I feel very strongly is that there should be a limit to how rich a person can become, and to how much can be passed to one's descendants. There are folks that are simply obscenely rich, with few or next to no merit, and nevertheless all their descendants down to the seventh generation will always be laughing on my descendants and similar normal human beings. I do not like that thought.

Also, don't you feel a human being should have the right to protest Castro, Gorbachev, Bush, Chirac, or whomever without fear of reprisal?

Jedi

Castro is off-limit. You can bash the rest of the gang as often you want.

Abe