Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Eldest is enrolled at GA Tech this Fall, and I want to start looking at real estate in Metro Atlanta.

We are just in the exploration stage, and would not pull the purchase trigger until we felt comfortable that Eldest was there for the duration. Ideally, we would find a place that is an easy commute to GT for Eldest to use down the road, but also a place we might like in retirement. Parking is a must, and the ability to walk to shops/parks/restaurants highly desired. Love interesting architecture. Public transportation would be great, but from what I understand that is a bit of a pipe dream. Really want "safer" parts of town. At this point, knowing where to avoid is just about as good as knowing where to look.

Open both to condos and SFH, though I tend to be happier with the control I keep with SFH. Some friends have suggested Buckhead, though that sounds better for us than Eldest. Any suggestions? Will be down early August. If you have any fabulous Realtor recs, would love to hear that too.

TIA,

IP
Print the post Back To Top
My parents have their Sandy Springs house up for sale. A couple miles away from MARTA, a block away from City Walk shopping/dining/grocery, 2 blocks from Heritage Sandy Springs, and 3 blocks away from the future location of City Hall. It's about 15 minutes down GA 400 to Tech and the rest of downtown.

Fuskie
Who thinks your best option for the requirements might be Atlantic Station but expects it will not be cheap...
Who thinks your best option for the requirements might be Atlantic Station but expects it will not be cheap..

Thanks, Fuskie. I guess "cheap" is relative. Taxes are high like they are up here, but compared to our area the prices are DIRT CHEAP. I will definitely check out this area, particularly given it's proximity to GT and the way it seems to meet our criteria.

IP
If not, my parents house remains on the market.

Fuskie
Who's just saying...
LOL. Send me the MLS so I can look at it on line.

IP
My parents have their Sandy Springs house up for sale.

Sandy Springs has a pretty compelling story. Perhaps your folks could provide this link in their marketing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qFvo2qJOU

IP
I can't say it's utopia but so far they have done a good job. I forwarded the video to DF and asked him for a MLS listing URL. But I did find the home on Zillow:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5770-Cameron-Hall-Pl-NW-At...

Fuskie
Who thinks the photos make the home seem smaller than it actually feels...
Nice house. Great kitchen. No need for the MLS url since zillow provides mls number. Much bigger than we are looking for though. I'm not looking to keep all my stuff.

The picture of the green bedroom might need to disappear. Looks like the ceiling was water damaged. Might just be the lighting, but that was the impression the picture gave me.

IP
Yeah, no water damage. DM will be pleased you like her kitchen.

Fuskie
Who was informed that he can't get the real estate agent's commission anyway had you chosen to buy the house...
Hey Fuskie,

MSNBC is using Sandy Springs as a positive example of a town doing the right thing to avoid going broke.

IP
Yeah, the privatization of city services model has worked ok so far, but the city is not without it's issues. I still look at it as an experiment that requires close monitoring. With any private, for profit enterprise, there will be pressure, with revenue fixed by contract, to maximize profits by reducing costs and often that comes at the expense of the quality of service.

Fuskie
Who thinks avoiding long term contracts and opening bidding each year should keep providers on their toes, however...