Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've read this board and some other Internet sites, and have become interested in getting involved with Real Estate investing. Would those successful investors out there please offer up some of their recommended resources? How did you learn what you use to make you successful? What books are good? Any seminars or courses worthwhile? If it is of importance, I live in Southern NH.

Thanks in advance!

-Bill
Print the post Back To Top
The best piece of advice I could offer is go get Robert Allen's “No Money Down for the 90s”. I read this book after I got started. Wish I had read it earlier. I have recommended this book to others on the board and gotten very positive feedback. In my opinion, this is much better then $$$ seminars. It's free at the library, or $10-20 a your fav bookstore.

He also has a book called “Creating Wealth” (I think). I have not read, but have heard great things.

Read one of these books, follow these boards, then come back with more questions.

I will say this, the hardest things to do is take that 1st step. So many people do all the “research”, but never invest.

It is natural (and good) to be cautious. I am working on 2 deals now that I have many second thoughts about. They are not the best deals ever, they have possible down sides, I will not be rich tomorrow off of them. However, ten years from now, I am really confident that I will be glad I did these 2 deals. Consequently, here we go……

Mark

Have you started? I am in Boston and may look into Southern Nh or Maine. Boston is just way to expensive for me to start.
I'm this close ( ---> <--- ) to starting.
I've been looking at lots and lots of properties
in the Manchester/Nashua area.

I've decided to go the landlord route and find a
decent multi-family with the "right things wrong"
for my starting point.  Then leverage my way up
from there.  Whenever I drive by a large apartment
building I repeat to myself: "Somebody owns it."
HMK2059;
I am in Boston and may look into Southern Nh or Maine. Boston is just way to expensive for me to start.

If you are geographically positioned so that you have the choice of starting to purchase real estate in one of a number of different states, then I would strongly recommend that you investigate the landlord-tenant laws and the behavior of the courts in each of those states and municipalities.

There are big differences in the law from state to state, and some states are very unbalanced in favor of the tenant. Such a state can make your life both difficult and expensive.

<If you are geographically positioned so that you have the choice of starting to purchase real estate in one of a number of different states, then I would strongly recommend that you investigate the landlord-tenant laws and the behavior of the courts in each of those states and municipalities.

There are big differences in the law from state to state, and some states are very unbalanced in favor of the tenant. Such a state can make your life both difficult and expensive.

That's very true - and from what I understand another reason NOT to invest in Real Estate in Mass.