Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Whether or not taking Social Security at 62 is worthwhile depends upon how much you are going to earn outside Social Security. If you start taking it now and earn any more than $840 in any month after you start, then you lose
your SS payment for that month. Next year you can earn more but you
will start loosing your SS benefits if you earn more than that year's limit - which will be a bit over $10000 a year.

As I understand this, it means that in my situation, I'd be better off to wait. I'm retired (not 62 yet, but getting there), however my husband makes a very good salary - too high for SS. Am I right in assuming that if I take SS it will be taxed at out current rate of 30+%? And am I right in assuming that, therefore, I ought to wait as long as possible? We don't need the money now, I was thinking of investing it all.

Thanks,

Nancy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.