Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there a section of the Fool website that ranks or even reviews the various mutual funds?

Here's why I ask:

My boyfriend has asked me to look over his 401K distribution. He's pretty new to the 401K world and this employer. He also has no interest in learning about investing and such, preferring to leave that to me. Small f foolish, perhaps. Anyway, he seems to have the choice of a lot of growth funds.

How can I figure out which ones are best? Examples are:
Fidelity Low-Priced Stock Fund, Janus Fund, MainStay Institutional Growth Equity Fund, Emerging Growth Fund (PBHG), PIMCO Mid Cap Growth Fund. Also, there are two international funds...one a TRowe Price and the other Warburg Pincus. Again, I don't see much difference in what the various prospectuses (prospectii?) say or in what the employer lists as 10 year returns. So how would I evaluate them?

Last question (for now): What's the difference, if any, between international stock fund and international equity fund?

Thanks for any help.

Maraith
Print the post Back To Top
Is there a section of the Fool website that ranks or even reviews the various mutual funds?

Well, sort of. There is a mutual fund area that will give the Foolish take on mutual funds. Follow the link below, to access all the many articles there. The Fool (and I) usually refrain from giving any specific recommendations on selecting them (although some on this board may choose to do so). I believe it is frowned upon by the SEC, who apparently do surf the web looking for this. But the articles located at the post below can provide you with the Foolish criteria used to determine how to make your selection(s).

http://www.fool.com/school/mutualfunds/mutualfunds.htm?ref=G02C06

So, read some, and see if it makes sense to you, then go from there.

Last question (for now): What's the difference, if any, between international stock fund and international equity fund?

None. Stocks are considered equities.

HTH

BmF

Yes, there is a board for mutual funds. It is http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?id=1030021000000000 They can probably answer your questions best. Note that, at least for the ones I know, you have listed fund families, not the individual funds. For example, Janus has I think a dozen or more funds. The Janus 20 is highly regarded, but there are others. You'll need to know the name of the individual fund that is offered.

Don't know for sure, but it sounds like the same thing.

HTH,
David
Is there a section of the Fool website that ranks or even reviews the various
mutual funds?

Here's why I ask:

My boyfriend has asked me to look over his 401K distribution. He's pretty new
to the 401K world and this employer. He also has no interest in learning about
investing and such, preferring to leave that to me. Small f foolish, perhaps.
Anyway, he seems to have the choice of a lot of growth funds.
How can I figure out which ones are best? Examples are:
Fidelity Low-Priced Stock Fund, Janus Fund, MainStay Institutional Growth
Equity Fund, Emerging Growth Fund (PBHG), PIMCO Mid Cap Growth Fund.
Also, there are two international funds...one a TRowe Price and the other
Warburg Pincus. Again, I don't see much difference in what the various
prospectuses (prospectii?) say or in what the employer lists as 10 year returns.
So how would I evaluate them?

When I had problems finding obscure funds and researching them for a new 401k, a couple of very helpful Fools came on this board and helped me. One referred me to www.fundalarm.com

That did the trick and I was happy to find the MainStay Institutional Growth Equity Fund wasn't bad at all!

I'll try to find the other web site that helped me out and post it. Good luck!
When I had problems finding obscure funds and researching them for a new 401k, a couple of very helpful Fools came on
this board and helped me. One referred me to www.fundalarm.com

That did the trick and I was happy to find the MainStay Institutional Growth Equity Fund wasn't bad at all!

I'll try to find the other web site that helped me out and post it. Good luck!

The other site I was referred to was www.smartmoney.com
Can't believe I couldn't remember that! LauryH and danrocks were the Fools that helped me. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Thanks for the URL for smartmoney and fundalarm. I checked out smartmoney the other day and found it very helpful. I'll look over fundalarm today.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses. I feel far more competent now than a few days ago!

Maraith