Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
I'll go first. Here's everything outside of short positions that is working for me right now.

Your turn please,

Dan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Backed up the truck with GE at 14.7

Thats it.

Buying MOO and UNG tomorrow. maybe
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Backed up the truck with GE at 14.7

Thats it.

Buying MOO and UNG tomorrow. maybe", said FranksMartin.

Franks, I'd sell you my GE but it is already shorted.

MOO I want, but its going lower so I wait.

UNG is a straight price play on natgas, I prefer the energy royalty trusts of Canada and the USA. Hugoton is my McDep fav, I am in cash on this one as I think its going lower. Already got PWE and COS.

Ti
Franks, I'd sell you my GE but it is already shorted.

Short GE?? wow what where did you get into that trade?

MOO I want, but its going lower so I wait.

Wish I knew for sure it was going lower like you do Ti, but I really dont know. Whats your price target to buy? It may go lower but in 5 years it wont matter much. I'll probably dip my toe tomorrow.
I bought a bit of CHK on 10/10 at $21.77. Two days later on 10/10 it was revealed that CEO Aubrey McClendon had his significant CHK stake wiped out on margin calls and I bought 5x as much at $13.05. The last 13 months have been pretty miserable.
My T-Bills are up, tho I intend to hold them to maturity. My BEARX is up as well.

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'll go first. Here's everything outside of short positions that is working for me right now.

I looked at a bunch of different US industries, particularly those that could benefit from stimulus spending. I couldn't find anything that is up over the past week, but Japanese ADRs and ETFs did a good deal better than the S&P 500:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5d&s=EWJ&l=on&z=...

Long EWJ/Short SPY is "working" over the 3, 6, 12 & 24 months, though not spectacularly. If the dollar falls due to gravity, and the Yen declines against other currencies on BoJ currency intervention, then I like the Nikkei here. If currencies take another trajectory, then I still like Japan's valuations and long term prospects.

EWJ is a Japanese Stock ETF.

Some more Japanese ADRs here:
http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/abacus-stocks-Japan-ADRs....

No secret that I like China even more than Japan. Big Chinese stuff is working even better over the past week and month, but not over the past 3, 6, & 12 months:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5d&s=FXI&l=on&z=...

The Macro theme for me still has to be short US, long international, based on a gradual rebalancing of the global economy. Lately I've been having a very hard time finding attractive US stocks that I can actually short and a very easy time finding ADRs with amazingly low valuations, and I've gone more long with my portfolio than at any point in the last 11 years.
I've got a couple of 5% CDs that are not losing money yet
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've made money this month selling OTM index options.
The VIX is back up to 69, so premiums are rich.

If you don't have the time or stomach for dynamic hedging,
try debit spreads: buy ITM options and sell ATM & OTM options.

KB
I'm trying out a bear credit spread on AAPL. Probably should have gone further OTM but oh well.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I have a can of loose change in my kitchen. Net loss for the calendar year is 0% - although if you factor CPI-U inflation I'm down 9% to 10% for the year. Been one of my better investments.
I bought a bit of CHK on 10/10 at $21.77. Two days later on 10/10 it was revealed that CEO Aubrey McClendon had his significant CHK stake wiped out on margin calls and I bought 5x as much at $13.05. The last 13 months have been pretty miserable.

Yeah, I picked up a small amount of CHK at 15.. that's been my only winner since I dropped my shorts a month ago.

~w
I've been buying the usual index funds. I expect they're working for me fine, as long as your observation date is November 2048 and not November 2008. If the market is down any particular day or month when I buy, whee, good news for me: the world wants to sell me its future revenues at a discount.
If you don't have the time or stomach for dynamic hedging ....

Oh, I've got the stomach for it alright, KB, I just can't find any safe longs. I was hoping someone knew of an idea or 2.

I have a can of loose change in my kitchen.

Milligram, you crack me up. I add to my change bank every night when I empty the change from my pockets. At 0% interest, let's see ... yep, one of my better investments too. :) I cash mine in for Christmas presents, usually get $200-300. This year we're making all our gifts, but the materials cost much more than $300. :(

Dan
.. that's been my only winner since I dropped my shorts a month ago.

Hey, hey, hey! This is a family board!

Desert (let's keep it decent;-) Dave
I've made a bunch on out of the money calendar put spreads. It's been working well since September.

Adenovir
I have a can of loose change in my kitchen. Net loss for the calendar year is 0% - although if you factor CPI-U inflation I'm down 9% to 10% for the year. Been one of my better investments.

If you get it counted at a Coinstar machine (and it's over $40) and redeem your coins for a gift card or e-certificate, you can mail in for a free $10 amazon.com gift card.

From the Coupons N More board:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27198449

http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/holidaypromo2008

Cash in $40 or more of change for a gift certificate (no counting fee) and get a $10 bonus from Coinstar.
My list is mostly blank as well, this might be the exception:

10/13/2008 Sell to Open XLFKR CALL SECT SPDR FINCL FND$18 EXP 11/22/08 $0.85000

10/23/2008 Buy to Close XLFKR CALL SECT SPDR FINCL FND$18 EXP 11/22/08 $0.20000

----------------------------------------------------------------

10/31/2008 Sell to Open XJZLQ CALL SECT SPDR FINCL FND$17 EXP 12/20/08 $0.88000

11/13/2008 Buy to Close XJZLQ CALL SECT SPDR FINCL FND$17 EXP 12/20/08 $0.11000

~H50