No. of Recommendations: 0
Asked this in the Tax strategies board but got no answer

so heres the situation: I have 4000 dollars to invest to start IRAs for my wife and I. In 1999 we liquidated my wifes 401K (Not the most Foolish move but my wife left the company five years ago and the mutual funds in the 401k were AWFUL and it allowed us to pay off all of our debt) Originally I was going to open a Roth IRA for each of us (I participate in a 401k so I have no choice)

My question: Because the liquidation of my 401K raised my AGI and the 10% penalty my taxes are a little high this year (about $1000 owed) should I make my wifes IRA a traditional take the tax break then roll it over to a Roth IRA next year? This would move the taxes due to next year which is fine with me and my AGI next year will be under 100,000

Does this make sense?

jjquin
From fool to Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.