Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My brother is retired, and lives part time in RI where he owns a house, and part tine in FL where he also owns a house. He is doing his taxes, and is trying to figure out which state he should claim as his residency.

He's using TurboTax, and apparently it asks where he resided on Dec 31 to use that as his residency. That would be FL since he goes there for the winters. If he claims FL as his residency, then he owes nothing in taxes.

I think he should be claiming RI as his residency because he registers his cars there and he votes there.

Is there a publication that I could point him to that explains all of this so that he has the correct answer? Is he perhaps supposed to just do part-time resident in both states? I'd think you have to claim permanent resident somewhere.

Can one of the tax experts help here and tell me where I should tell him to look?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.