Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
While calculating a safe harbor is pretty easy, it's not always the right way to go. It works well when your income is rising from the prior year to the current year. But when your income falls, the safe harbors generally have you paying in too much in taxes.

In this case, since the OP was worried about owing extra taxes from realizing significant capital gains, and indicated that their income from employment was similar, maybe slightly less than 2017 because they increased their 401(k) contribution, it probably is the way to go.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.