Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
While I agree with the other poster on the freedom feeling without a helmet and all that, the new helmets get rid of a lot of the vision issues of the past. Most of the riders I've seen bitching about helmets have a Snell version from the early 80's.

The new helmets have excellent vision and the only reason I can see not to wear them is similar to not wearing a seatbelt.....pure stupidity. Pay a couple of hundred for a good helmet and then tell me you can't see or hear anything.

I had one friend killed (identical twin and I still have trouble getting the name right at times) and another acquaintance that looked a bit like Frankenstein with some serious brain damage. Actually, I know another guy with one leg shorter then the other also. I don't even ride and I know all these people with serious injuries.

If you love being free on a motorcycle....that's great. Just consider how free you will feel stuck in a bed trying to figure out how to add 1+1.

When I was in driver's school for the SCCA and one of the first discussions was on safety and gear, both required and recommended the instructor said something to me back in March of 1989 that I have never forgotten.

"If you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet."

My Arai was comfortable, afforded excellent vision, provided full protection including my jaw, and wasn't excessively hot or deadened sound to the point that I was in a vacuum.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.