Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
While I almost never disagree with Phil on taxes, a vacation rental, IF treated as a business rather than mostly personal use with a couple of weeks rental, files a schedule C.

I have never heard of mere short-term rental of residential property being automatically treated as a business requiring Schedule C. Pros?

Nor I. Not having read the book cited, I can only think of three explanations: (1) the author is mistaken, (2) the OP has misinterpreted what the author wrote, or (3) the author is basing his position on tax court decisionss that haven't made their way into IRS pubs. (I haven't done any research to locate such decisions.)

IRS Pubs 527, Residential Rental Property (ch. 3), and 334, Tax Guide for Small Businesses (ch. 5) state that in order for a rental to be considered a business activity (Sch. C), you must provide substantial services that are for your tenant's convenience (such as regular cleaning, linen service, maid service) and not just for maintenance of the property (such as utilities, trash collection). There's another catch to Sch. C reporting: any income is subject to SE tax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.