No. of Recommendations: 7
While I don't doubt this happens, in the first example I can see exactly how and why it happened. The woman was booked in 4C and her child was booked in 11C.

4C on US air domestic flights is normally the first coach seat behind first class and it is an aisle seat. This is one of their preferred seat, set aside for top tier fliers. I'm willing to bet this woman was allowed to reserve these seats in advance, however at 24 hours before the flight, when the airport takes control of the seat reservations, her daughter got bumped to a "normal" seat because she didn't have status. I think this is what happens in many cases.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, I am just saying that I can see how it happened.

My two are young-teens but even then I prefer to sit next to them rather than have, as one mom in the article put it, "someone who hasn't had a background check sitting next to my child".

I notice they changed the article since this quote above. The teenagers have suddenly changed to a 9 year old. So, which is it?

I suspect many had the opinion, there are bigger issues here than the seats when talking pre-teens. If your 13-14 year old can't sit in a public place less than 30 feet away from you for a few hours because you want a background check, they shouldn't be flying.

Sure, it is nice if you can sit together, but stuff happens. Heck, at that age my daughter would have rather sat away from me and my wife on a plane. How does a family of 4-5 handle this. Obviously they can't all sit together. How to they handle having 1-2 people sit a row away? On my last flight to Seattle, I had two twin 11 year old boys sitting next to me. Mom and two younger children were in the row behind her. There were no issues, the boys were perfectly behaved and Mom could deal with the younger ones. I guess the only reason it worked out because I actually have had a background check? :-)

Long term, I'm an advocate of family sections on the plane. It avoids all the tier-status, preferred seat problems. If you want to sit as a family together, you would book in that area.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.