Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
While I have held REITs in taxable accounts, none at present or in 2018.

My mom had about $30k in dividends with $23k in qualified dividends and $7k in most REIT dividends subject to the 199A, so it was a $1,400 deduction for her which was nice.

My son also had a little 199A deduction, but since his tax due was less than his foreign tax credit it really didn't help much.

Speaking of kids, gifting securities to your children really became much less desirable from a tax standpoint. If your child has more than $4,150 in income, you lose the $500 dependent tax credit. Also above about $4,650, the unearned investment income gets taxed at trust rates which are equal to the highest individual rate. So 80% x 37% still would have equaled 29.6% for him.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.