Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
While I trust my doctor I am living with this disease every hour of every day and he is not.

I think both of you are misunderstanding me. Of course we live with this disease every day. The pin pricks are a routine reminder. And yes, of course we are the ones most in tune with how our body is reacting to diet, exercise and even medications. But a doctor is trained to understand how these things work together and affect the disease.

No, a doctor can not be with us 24 hours a day. But when the doctor says this medication will boost insulin production and to take it once a day at breakfast, then I am not going to ignore that advice. I did not go to medical school and I do not have the background to understand the research behind the drugs.

Now if I hear that someone recommends taking a drug twice a day instead of the prescribed once a day, I will ask my doctor about that. He may say give it a try, or he may say I should stick with the current regimen. If I do not understand the reasons for his directions, it is my fault for not asking why. But I am not going to change my dosage just because someone says it worked for them.

Fuskie
Who does not expect his health to be delivered to him on a silver platter, but thinks if you and your doctor do not share your best interests, it is time to find a doctor who does...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.