Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
While I will not be retiring in two years I will have to start selling assets in a few years to pay for college expenses, so I have thought about this too. I transferred the account intended for college expenses to folio[fn], along with my Roth IRA. I am dollar cost averaging in my monthly contributions, and plan to simply sell a percentage of the entire account to pay college expenses every year when the time comes, as if it were a mutual fund.

If I didn't have it there and had to pay a commission on every sale, this is what I would do. If it was time to sell a former gorilla candidate and invest the proceeds into the winner, I would sell the former candidate and spend it instead of reinvesting it. If that didn't cover what I needed, I would shave an equal percentage from several holdings--all of them if possible. It would prevent me from kicking myself because I sold the one that turned out to be the REALLY big gorilla when my crystal ball was on the blink.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.