Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
While this may not be exactly what happened with INTM, here is what often happens with secondary offerings. Usually when the secondary is announced, the stock price comes down in anticipation of dilution if what is being sold are new shares and as a knee jerk reaction if it involves selling shareholders (i.e., why are they selling?. Depending upon how well placed the issue is (i.e., how much demand there is from investors, and you should read that "institutional investors"), there is some discount to the market. Another deciding factor in discount is how much the company will tolerate.

A company like INTM, probably needs the money enough to accept a relatively large discount, especially after the strong run-up it's had. Judging from the performance, I would guess that Chase H&Q had insufficient demand for the stock and that it was placed in the hands of institutions that immediately flipped it which caused the stock to trade down so much. The old, "more sellers than buyers".

All of the shares on the deal were sold at $60. They apparently didn't expect the stock to get crushed because, as you say, why buy it at $60 if you can buy it at $55. My guess is that a lot of people stayed away from the deal because they thought they would buy it cheaper. This goes back to my point that Chase H&Q probably didn't have a very solid "book" of buyers for the secondary. They also appear not to have had any significant buyers in the aftermarket. Hope this helps.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.