No. of Recommendations: 2
While ultimately you'd like your money in a Roth IRA, assuming your current income level makes you eligible for that vehicle, you are not allowed to put your 401K money there directly.
The correct procedure is to roll the money from the 401k to a traditional IRA. Once it is there, you can then convert to a Roth IRA, paying tax on the converted amount.
The IRA gives you far more options than a 403b account; only laziness or completetrust in your new employer would be excuses for the last option.

Yes, transfer to an IRA, and yes, when you transfer to the Roth you will have to pay taxes for that year.

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.