Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's a fascinating discussion of what "white privilege" means, from the perspective of white people who grew up poor.

White privilege means that although life may not be easy, it's not harder because of the color of my skin. I wasn't given things, but I didn't have things taken away due to my race.

To all the people that say “There are poor white individuals who have massive struggles how can that be a privilege over X.” Yes there are massive struggles that can be experienced by any human. But going through them with dark skin is not the same experience as going through them with white skin. I am in my 40s, so all this “white privilege” talk wasn’t anything I heard in my 20s. But I remember a time shortly after college when things just fell apart for me. I was just starting to put things back together - and I don’t know why this crossed my mind - but I remember thinking “Thank God at least I am white or this would be even harder.” I really don’t know what prompted that thought but I remember how obvious that was to me then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/j6b5pp/serious_w...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.