Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's a fascinating discussion of what "white privilege" means, from the perspective of white people who grew up poor.

White privilege means that although life may not be easy, it's not harder because of the color of my skin. I wasn't given things, but I didn't have things taken away due to my race.

To all the people that say “There are poor white individuals who have massive struggles how can that be a privilege over X.” Yes there are massive struggles that can be experienced by any human. But going through them with dark skin is not the same experience as going through them with white skin. I am in my 40s, so all this “white privilege” talk wasn’t anything I heard in my 20s. But I remember a time shortly after college when things just fell apart for me. I was just starting to put things back together - and I don’t know why this crossed my mind - but I remember thinking “Thank God at least I am white or this would be even harder.” I really don’t know what prompted that thought but I remember how obvious that was to me then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/j6b5pp/serious_w...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 18
Thomas Sowell has posted many discussions about race and inequality. This is just one of the first hits on a search.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/06/13/an-interview-with-thoma...

You would have to look a bit, but one of the things he often mentions, many of the equalities disappear or become statistically insignificant when children are raised in a two parent house hold. Especially if married.

JLC
but one of the things he often mentions, many of the equalities disappear or become statistically insignificant when children are raised in a two parent house hold. Especially if married.

That is not nearly as relevant as it may appear at first glance, because the rates of birth-out-of-wedlock and divorce are strongly dependent on socio-economic stressors, in particular on job opportunities (or lack thereof) for men.

https://thebigsmoke.com/2016/12/29/harvard-study-finds-job-l...

So what you're really saying is that "inequalities disappear when you look at black couples that are either not subject to job losses or otherwise manage to stay together". That's really not a very useful observation, because the subgroup we're talking about here is EXTRAORDINARY in some way, and so this observation tells us very little or nothing about how the average individual/couple fare.

I know that the immediate reflex on the right is always to say that the problem is "black culture" and "individual moral failings", but when you look at what happened in white populations over the last 40 years, the birth-out-of-wedlock, the divorce rate, the rate of alcoholism and drug abuse, they've all gone up in response to declining job opportunities. Their development looks very much like what happened to blacks in the 70s and 80s.

In other words, whence goeth the job opportunity, thence goes the culture.
No. of Recommendations: 3
So what you're really saying is that "inequalities disappear when you look at black couples that are either not subject to job losses or otherwise manage to stay together". That's really not a very useful observation, because the subgroup we're talking about here is EXTRAORDINARY in some way, and so this observation tells us very little or nothing about how the average individual/couple fare.

So you're saying white couple do not lose jobs and therefore are not subject to the same stressors??

Kathleen
So you're saying white couple do not lose jobs and therefore are not subject to the same stressors??

Of course not. Just less often, on average.
No. of Recommendations: 6
My experience has been, 'Whites get fired, Blacks get transferred'.
No. of Recommendations: 0
My experience has been, 'Whites get fired, Blacks get transferred'.

Here's the data for the last two recessions (well, the last one and the current one):

https://usafacts.org/articles/unemployment-race-coronavirus-...
No. of Recommendations: 8
because the rates of birth-out-of-wedlock and divorce are strongly dependent on socio-economic stressors,

That is the populist view, probably because it sounds rational. Now, I'm not saying micro economics are not important...they are. What is MORE important is moral values and adherence to them. When the church was the center of the black community, Harlem, S. central LA, Chicago's S. Side and E. St. Louis were civil and livable. Today they are not civil and for most, not livable. The idea that poverty drives social structure is pure escapism. U.S. history is full of kids growing up in poverty and rising to economic and personal achievement. Core nuclear family moral and religious affiliation to support each other through ups and downs is the real driver of social stability and the belief in a better tomorrow.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 5
because the rates of birth-out-of-wedlock and divorce are strongly dependent on socio-economic stressors,

Odd that those "socio-economic stressors," which had been declining (as evidenced by the declining rate of out-of-wedlock births among blacks from 1865 to 1960) suddenly started getting worse in the 1960s and are now significantly more severe than they were DURING SLAVERY.
No. of Recommendations: 9
"but one of the things he often mentions, many of the equalities disappear or become statistically insignificant when children are raised in a two parent house hold. Especially if married."

That is not nearly as relevant as it may appear at first glance, because the rates of birth-out-of-wedlock and divorce are strongly dependent on socio-economic stressors, in particular on job opportunities (or lack thereof) for men.

Walter E. Williams, an 84 year old black conservative professor of economics at George Mason University in July posted;

"Is Racism Responsible for Today's Black Problems?"

Walter E. Williams Posted: Jul 29, 2020 12:01 AM

I doubt whether any American would defend the police treatment of George Floyd that led to his death. But many Americans are supporting some of the responses to Floyd's death -- rioting, looting, wanton property destruction, assaults on police and other kinds of mayhem by both whites and blacks.

The pretense is that police conduct stands as the root of black problems. According to the NAACP, from 1882-1968, there were 3,446 black people lynched at the hands of whites. Today, being murdered by whites or policemen should be the least of black worries. In recent times, there . . . .

See https://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2020/07/29/i... for the rest of the article.

What caused the decline in the two parent family structure since the 1960s? Mostly the rise of welfare benefits and the decline of traditional morality, IM(not so)HO. Back in the 40s & 50s being an unmarried young woman that was pregnant was a big disgrace. Many or most of them were forced to drop out of school to have their baby who, in many cases, was put up for adoption. In the 60s, there was welfare payments to the mothers of children if they were unmarried and didn’t have a man living with them. The more children one had, the greater the welfare payment, food stamps, etc., etc., which was a major cause of the decline of the black family.

I remember an interview on a TV station in N.Y.C. in the late 60s of an unmarried black mother. She was asked why she didn’t get a job. Her answer “I’d lose my welfare benefits which pay me more than any job I can get.”
;-(

C.J.V. - seeing how long before some snowflakes complain and the Fool removes this post, me
When the church was the center of the black community, Harlem, S. central LA, Chicago's S. Side and E. St. Louis were civil and livable. Today they are not civil and for most, not livable.

But what changed first? I'd argue that jobs and opportunities went away first, and then people stopped going to church.

With the inner cities, the whole thing is ENORMOUSLY complicated because of the lead/crime issue, which may be what was at the root of the whole dynamic.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/02/an-updated-le...

That can't be the reason for what's happening to white rural America, though.
No. of Recommendations: 0
The more children one had, the greater the welfare payment, food stamps, etc., etc., which was a major cause of the decline of the black family.

This is a popular explanation on the right, but I'd like to know what you make of the fact that over the last twenty years, we've been seeing exactly the same dynamic play out in rural white America, despite the fact that welfare got gutted in the 90s and despite the fact that these specific areas are, or were, deeply religious.