No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking for a safe, non-toxic weed-killer? Try just pouring a gallon of plain, white vinegar into your hand sprayer. Use it on weeds, preferably on a hot, sunny day, and watch what happens! Use it in the morning and I bet you'll find dead, brown weeds by sundown, or certainly the next day.

Be careful, though, not to spray onto lawn or flowers. Vinegar is lethal on any green things out there.

I find this better than costly chemicals, and it won't harm any creatures (or you) if you come into contact with it.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Citric acid will do the same thing.

PSU
PUS:

Maybe so, but where do you buy gallon jigs of citric acid?

White vinegar is cheap and plentiful.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 1
Geez, I meant to type PSU!

Sorry about that!!!!! :(

Vermonter
Maybe so, but where do you buy gallon jigs of citric acid?

White vinegar is cheap and plentiful.

It comes in granular form and can be found in almost all wine and beer brew shops and pool supply stores. If you have Amazon Prime, get a couple pounds delivered to the front door.

Or you could soak citrus rinds in vinegar and get a combo spray.

PSU
This morning I went to a Lose the Lawn, Get a Garden. One of the questions was about vinegar. The Master Gardener said it works best on the young leaf.

I think a hot day will do the trick and just cook the darn weed.
Yes, but I suspect the lawn and garden folks would prefer you buy their commercial weed killers instead of cheap white vinegar, available at the grocery store. (Or citric acid, as PSU suggested, if it's less than $3.00 a gallon.)

Vermonter
Actually, they did NOT recommend any commercial weed killers. They did say the vinegar did work best on young leaf/weed.
Axe-u-lee, citric acid is a solid that sells for around 3 bucks a pound in larger packages (See; https://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-Citric-5-Pound-NON-GMO/dp... ). Unlike white vinegar, which is 5% acetic acid, citric acid can be mixed with water to produce solutions of up to 50% acid.

C.J.V.
This morning I went to a Lose the Lawn, Get a Garden. One of the questions was about vinegar. The Master Gardener said it works best on the young leaf.

I think a hot day will do the trick and just cook the darn weed.

When killing weeds/grass for a new garden bed, solarization may work better than using weed killers if you have the time and it is warm enough (See; https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/soil-solarization ). Besides killing the surface weeds & grass, it would tend to sterilize any seeds near the soil’s surface.
;-)

C.J.V. - didn’t work over the winter here in S.E. Loosiana the time I tried it 5 or 4 years back, no
Would we WANT or NEED 50% acid? Dunno. All I know is white vinegar is pretty cheap in most stores and seems to work, just as it comes from the bottle.

Whatever kills the weeds.

Vermonter
Do you think that this would work on creeping Charlie? My front lawn was almost taken over by that last summer, and I really don't want a repeat.
I'm NOT an expert. All I will say is that use of ANY weed-killer on your lawn needs to be done carefully. Spraying anything on your lawn may damage or kill sections that you don't want to harm, so follow directions from people who can advise you properly.

My two cents.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 2
Do you think that this would work on creeping Charlie? My front lawn was almost taken over by that last summer, and I really don't want a repeat.

Vinegar would be a non-selective weed killer meaning it will kill everything it touches including the lawn. It would act similar to Roundup. You need a broadleaf weed killer. I don't know of any natural broadleaf weed killers but maybe someone else does.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 4
I don't know of any natural broadleaf weed killers but maybe someone else does.

~~~

Gloved hands... They're (mostly) natural. (o: Knee pads also help...
PoodleLover,

Get one of these and you save your knees:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6706001707424579374?...

They work on every kind of weed.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Creeping Charlie = Ground Ivy = difficult to control

I thought this was interesting

Control:

Borax on Ground Ivy: Boon or Bane?

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/1997/8-22-1997/borax....

They compared various rates of dry and liquid borax with Super Trimec (2,4 D + dicamba + dichlorprop) and Sharpshooter (saturated fatty acids of potassium salts). All borax treatments and Super Trimec provided greater than 90% ground ivy control the spring following application in 1991, when soil moisture was good. In 1992, a dryer year, only liquid borax and Super Trimec controlled 85% of the ground ivy the spring following application. They also found that cooler weather may reduce effectiveness. So if liquid borax and Super Trimec provide comparable results, which would a homeowner want to choose? As you would expect, "it depends."

2,4 d can vaporize causing damage to other broadleaf plants