No. of Recommendations: 15
In survey after survey, employers seem to agree that the skill they most want in future workers is adaptability. Those who hire complain that they often find today's college graduates lacking in interpersonal skills, problem solving, effective written and oral communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to think critically and analytically.

That wouldn't be because they actually hire based on check-off credentials (a specific degree, already did the exact same work at another company), would it? They select employees for narrow skill sets, then complain that their employees don't think outside the box and aren't team players. But they rejected the creative, adaptable thinkers and team players on their first pass through the resumes, or later when they rejected the introverts or the ones who gave unexpected answers to interview questions. They select the glad-handing suck-ups with specific, narrow skills, then complain their employees are glad-handing suck-ups with few skills!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-selingo/unemployment-skil...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
Employers always want to have their cake and eat it too. And they want to eat your cake, too. And they never ever think they should be held responsible for anything.

Think outside the box? Employers want you to STFU and do as you're told. They use "qualifications" and "skill set" requirements as tools to screen people out and NOT hire them. One "i" not dotted or one "T" not crossed and you're "Not Qualified". They also use it to socialize their training costs and responsibilities.
No. of Recommendations: 6
In survey after survey, employers seem to agree that the skill they most want in future workers is adaptability

"Adaptability". Yes. Work for me today and leave tomorrow when I:
a) outsource your job. b)Downsize you out. c Don't like your kind and just want you gone d) Use my vaunted businessman skills to run my business into the ground and put everybody out of work

Work---out of work: Adapting to shifting marketplace requirements
No. of Recommendations: 3
The best advice I ever heard was to "Hire for values and fit. Specific skills can be taught."
No. of Recommendations: 1
That wouldn't be because they actually hire based on check-off credentials (a specific degree, already did the exact same work at another company), would it? They select employees for narrow skill sets, then complain that their employees don't think outside the box and aren't team players. But they rejected the creative, adaptable thinkers and team players on their first pass through the resumes, or later when they rejected the introverts or the ones who gave unexpected answers to interview questions. They select the glad-handing suck-ups with specific, narrow skills, then complain their employees are glad-handing suck-ups with few skills!

I am presently in the workforce.

All you retired folks--Good on ya! Be glad you were able to retire early!
No. of Recommendations: 2
Maraith posts,

The best advice I ever heard was to "Hire for values and fit. Specific skills can be taught."

I thought the movie Office Space provided good advice via Ron Livingston's character.

http://voices.yahoo.com/ten-best-quotes-office-space-4094069...

"Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired." - Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston)

</snip>

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 4
Six and seven figure quarterly bonuses have made American industry executives short-sighted and greedy. Give them half an opportunity and they will do the same thing to American education.
No. of Recommendations: 0
SG says:
Give them half an opportunity and they will do the same thing to American education

This is already happening at the College and University level. Each school seeks 'MOA' with all other schools that the course work completed at one school is 'transferrable' to another school.

To this end, there are 'accrediting groups' that purport to judge the academic credibility of the various schools. SACS is one such group:
http://www.sacscoc.org/principles.asp

The 'credibility' of the professors is ONLY based on the degree, and the courses taken to fulfill that degree.

Furthermore, the folks judging each professor may or may NOT be experts in the field they are judging.

All of those techniques that have worked so well in K-12 education: lesson plans, course assessment tools, learning outcomes, etc, are highly prized by the accrediting groups.

The axe that the accreditation groups hold over the school: should a school not get 'accreditation', that school runs the risk that their graduates will NOT be able to transfer successfully to other schools, especially 1st tier universities.

FWIW
ralph
They?

They????

Sometimes people seem to forget that employers are us. They are
the risk takers - the investors - the inventors - the
builders.

also, people seem to forget that hiring employees is very difficult -
training is always required for new hires. One hopes that a new
hire with a degree would be able to write a sentence and
recognize if a verb is missing. Failure of an education system
that spends many thousands of tax dollars to generate graduates
that cannot balance a checkbook - let alone complete a sentence -
seems to be less than efficient.
Kind of like collecting gasoline taxes as a means to maintain
bridges and roads only to find out that your local bridge over
the Mississippi has collapsed.

Perhaps it is time to expect results from taxes collected rather
than complain about employer hiring practices?

Howie52
Perhaps it is time to expect results from taxes collected rather
than complain about employer hiring practices?

Howie52

No need for an either/or. Both need constant attention. Most of the wasted tax bucks are due to "employers" ie Commercial money interests and their cahoots with government. And Adam Smith himself advised us to pay close attention to what employers get up to. So, maybe it's a 1 third/2 thirds recipe.
No. of Recommendations: 3
"All you retired folks--Good on ya! Be glad you were able to retire early!" - workwayless

Almost anybody can retire early if you are willing to lower your living standards low enough. It all depends on what kind of life you are willing to settle for. I know old drunk alcoholics down in southeast Georgia who live on almost nothing. They work as little as possible, just enough to get by. I figure if they can survive like that then almost anybody should be able to.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 7
Sometimes people seem to forget that employers are us. They are
the risk takers - the investors - the inventors - the
builders.

Nice try. But in large corporations like the ones the two people this article talked about came from, hiring managers are mid-level management. They do not tend to be risk takers or investors or inventors or builders. And their hands are often tied by HR departments filled with even less qualified people.

Parts of our education system may be in decline, but the right questions to ask are about the causes of the decline and how do we best address them. After decades of underfunding public education, your solution seems to be to threaten to pull even more funds if the results don't get better. Reminds me of the old saying: "Beatings will continue until morale is improved."
No. of Recommendations: 5
First comment after the article tells the tale:

"If there was really a skills gap then you would see huge wage increases in those fields. There are no wage increases however. At least not that match productivity gains or profits. I'm an engineer and I can tell first hand what is really happening. H-1b work visas are used by employers to keep wages low. However they need to tell the government that they can't find Americans to do the work to justify the H-1b work visas. This is why you have all these paid sponsors talking about "skills gap". Its a facade. "

Wow.

Totally hits it right there.

I've been working in a "high demand" field for over 20 years, and our wages (I ask around - not just mine) barely keep up with cost-of-living increases.
StockGoddess posts,

"If there was really a skills gap then you would see huge wage increases in those fields. There are no wage increases however. At least not that match productivity gains or profits. I'm an engineer and I can tell first hand what is really happening. H-1b work visas are used by employers to keep wages low. However they need to tell the government that they can't find Americans to do the work to justify the H-1b work visas. This is why you have all these paid sponsors talking about "skills gap". Its a facade. "

Wow.

Totally hits it right there.

I've been working in a "high demand" field for over 20 years, and our wages (I ask around - not just mine) barely keep up with cost-of-living increases.

</snip>

It's been like that for 30 years.

I spent most of my career in the oil & gas and chemical industry. If you looked at any chemistry or chemical engineering journal you'd see these job advertisements for a Ph.D. with 15 years experience, salary $35,000/yr. when most Fortune 500 companies were paying $100,000 or more for someone with those skills. Why would they waste their time advertising such a job? If you can show you received no responsive resumes to the job posting, they'll give you a visa to bring in your Indian or Chinese cousin at the bargain salary advertised.

Wealthy Sons of Privilege like Mitt Romney would call it patriotism.

intercst
"
I spent most of my career in the oil & gas and chemical industry. If you looked at any chemistry or chemical engineering journal you'd see these job advertisements for a Ph.D. with 15 years experience, salary $35,000/yr. when most Fortune 500 companies were paying $100,000 or more for someone with those skills. Why would they waste their time advertising such a job? If you can show you received no responsive resumes to the job posting, they'll give you a visa to bring in your Indian or Chinese cousin at the bargain salary advertised."

At least 30 years.

In the EE field, companies would advertise for MSEE degrees, with narrow focus in one specialty.....for five thousand less than the average salary.

Then they'd bring in H1Bs....pay them 5000 less..and even worse..they'd work 'em to death, knowing they could not change jobs...if they lost their job they'd lose their green card...and companies did not raid others for H1B folks....it took six months if you wanted to change from one employer to another - loads of red tape..and the guy might be deported in the mean time. So they'd work 'em 60 hours a week, then use that to so everyone else that they too should be working 60 hours a week if they wanted to keep their jobs and not be replaced by a foreign worker.

I usually wound up in jobs that required a broad background of skills so my job wasn't easily replaceable...but I saw it happen time and time again...

About half of the H1B engineers could solve any text book problem you threw at them, but were totally lost on real world problems when you had to take other constraints into account. Like they could design the world's greatest radio...but you ask them, hey, does the FCC allow you to use that wide a modulation format in any frequency band...they say, duh!..that wasn't a part of the problem they were given, and after six months of work, it all went down the drain....

t
<<I spent most of my career in the oil & gas and chemical industry. If you looked at any chemistry or chemical engineering journal you'd see these job advertisements for a Ph.D. with 15 years experience, salary $35,000/yr. when most Fortune 500 companies were paying $100,000 or more for someone with those skills. Why would they waste their time advertising such a job? If you can show you received no responsive resumes to the job posting, they'll give you a visa to bring in your Indian or Chinese cousin at the bargain salary advertised.

Wealthy Sons of Privilege like Mitt Romney would call it patriotism.

intercst>>

Interesting that intercst doesn't like it when cheap foreign labor debases HIS wage rate, but most liberals are just FINE with bringing in hordes of cheap illegal immigrants to debase the wage rates of the working class.

Seattle Pioneer
most liberals are just FINE with bringing in hordes of cheap illegal immigrants to debase the wage rates of the working class.

Seattle Pioneer

Link?

I'm a liberal, and I'm not fine with bringing in hordes of immigrantsto debase wage rates and I don't know anyone who is.

Karen
Karen:""I'm a liberal, and I'm not fine with bringing in hordes of immigrantsto debase wage rates and I don't know anyone who is."

Maybe you need to open your eyes?

Obama and the drones LOVE immigrants, who vote 98% for democrats. That way, if they manage to 'legalize' those 10-20 million who have snuck in.....allow them to work...... they'll all vote for democrats and keep them in power for the next 30 years. Easy.

IT's all about staying in power....not helping out the middle class, the lower income folks. It's about creating 'voters'.......

Do they care if it lowers wages? Heck, no.

It's all about 'voters' who will vote dem. Plain and simple.

You might not be fine with it, but Obama has stopped deportation, gone after those who catch illegals like Sheriff Joe...filed lawsuit after lawsuit about actually checking to see if voters are legally able to vote.....

It's all about 'dem voters' and creating more of them.

You've had the wool pulled over your eyes.

Oh, they'll 'whine' about 'those republicans' who want 'cheap labor'. (a few of them)......but they really want another 10-20 million latinos to 'seal the majority'. Heck, if they legalize the border runners, even TX would likely go to being a democrat state, ruining it in just a few years as the welfare weenies and queenies take over.

t.
"To this end, there are 'accrediting groups' that purport to judge the academic credibility of the various schools. SACS is one such group:
http://www.sacscoc.org/principles.asp

The 'credibility' of the professors is ONLY based on the degree, and the courses taken to fulfill that degree.

Not only that, but SACS is now starting to dictate how many "student hours" must go into a class. (Student hours is the sum of: hours spent in class; hours spent on homework; hours spent on projects/papers; hours spent on out of class activities.) They are afraid courses which mean anything other than 2x or 3x a week are shortchanging students and/or signs of being a diploma mill.