Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know who can be an account owner in a 529 plan? Does it have to be an individual or can it be a partnership or a corporation?

I'm not sure this would provide any benefit or be worth it. It's just a question that I have now.

Thanks,
e
Print the post Back To Top
Hello euphoriant:
Does anyone know who can be an account owner in a 529 plan? Does it have to be an individual or can it be a partnership or a corporation?

It seems that a trust, corporation, partnership or other business entity are permitted by section 529 to open an account. But, I believe you'd need to check with each state plan to see if they do. For instance, VIrginia's plan (VEST) does as well as California's plan.

HTH

Bookm
"I'm not sure this would provide any benefit or be worth it. It's just a question that I have now"

It's a definite benefit if you can get your employer to set up a plan for your child and then contribute to it--especially if you can do it in a way that doesn't result in constructive receipt (for Fed income tax purposes) by you of the funds (which is an issue I'm looking into now).

Brad
Brad,
See if you can make it fall under the Section 125 programs.

Jenn