Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
In another thread, the poster has retired early - age 50. Not too much earlier than my Dad. For a while he had plenty of guys to do things with - motorcycle riding and snowmobiling. BUT, his buddies were all in their mid to late 60s who did the normal retirement plan. After about 10 years, his buddies got too old (or worse) to be riding snowmobiles and motorcycles and he had lost touch with his peer group who was just retiring. So, he ended up not having anyone to play with.

I quit working when I was 43 out of total frustration with the corporate work. It was fine for a year and then I decided to find part time employment in anything that seemed interesting (coaching, copier operator for a school district, motor coach bus driver, office manager, product research and development, YMCA morning customer service, meals on wheels, some volunteer work, etc.). Fast forward 22 years and I still work 15 hours a week to get out of the house and stay engaged with people my age and younger.

What have other early retirees done to stay active and engaged instead of sitting in a chair watching the world go by?

Windrath
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.