Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Who do y'all think they'll be?

Beats me. The whole board is full of great companies - many of which are worth investing in. The big thing to remember is that we want the best of the bunch - and just because someone loses out to someone else doesn't make it a bad investment! But here's a thought or two.

(129) .. CSCO ...... Cisco Systems

I've got to say I like Cisco. I also like the idea that while still in the technology-heavy section of the port, they cater to the infrastructure rather than to the consumer (as INTC, MSFT and DELL). The only worry I'd have is whether they are really a 'king' or not... while certainly a global brand, Cisco is still something of a young company. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

In addition, picking a 'Cash Prince' (see the strategy message board for more) would add a bit of variety while still generating the numbers we like to see.

(093) .. MO ......... Phillip Morris Companies

It's tough to find someone with the sheer exposure to the consumer market like MO. The pending lawsuits are certainly cause to think about it a little, but if we're looking 20 years down the road? I don't think they'll have a problem. Even if they have to pay off, they've got the resources to do so - and they've also got the products to keep generating cash while they do so!

(022) .. HDI ......... Harley-Davidson
(049) .. DIS .......... Disney, Walt
(057) .. JNJ .......... Johnson & Johnson
(058) .. GE ........... General Electric
(164) .. WWY ..... W.W. Wrigley & Co.
(170) .. G ............ Gillette - but withdrawn in same post, 8-(

I like 'em all. Who wouldn't? While they all certainly meet 'global brand' and 'repeat purchase' criteria, I'm not sure if the numbers look good enough (remember - this is in comparison to the other companies from which we select!) to justify passing on another position - say CSCO...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.