Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

CSCO? Never. The world's priciest engineers are working on stuff like cooling fans. CSCO is the next LU. We will soon see their products at Radio Shack.

MSFT? It looks attractive now, but I would wait for the fall--I mean, the autumn. It could be down to 50 again if the fall experiences a correction.

AMZN? What will it do when it falls below 10? Set its eyes on 5?

SUNW! Don't look now, but it just crossed PEs with MSFT, for so long the only adult of the Naz big three. Yes, SUNW is actually less expensive than MSFT right now. One to watch, if not to buy today. If the PE gets into the 20s next week, however, I will buy.

jps
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
SUNW! Don't look now, but it just crossed PEs with MSFT, for so long the only adult of the Naz big three. Yes, SUNW is actually less expensive than MSFT right now. One to watch, if not to buy today. If the PE gets into the 20s next week, however, I will buy.

Even the PE can be a misleading metric when profits are falling and the economy stalling. SUNW is facing increased competition, pricing pressure, and a lousy economy on top of it.

I am not buying anything now, already having put some more cash on the fire with ATML thinking that things might be near a bottom. . . but I think CSCO, JDSU (at 6% of its 52 week high) may be better plays long term. CSCO isn't LU because it still is on the cutting edge, whereas LU was saddled with an increasingly hard to sell product line.

Infrastructure like routers and fiber will be important again, but only when companies start making capital expenditures. The risk in investing now is that before the economy turns around some innovation could hurt a CSCO or JDSU. JDSU has earned .55 it's last four quarters, a trailing PE of 15 -- this is never a bad company, just a suicidal investment when the PE was 500. But here again, the PE is not reliable because of the economy: earnings for the last three quarters are .21, .14 and .02. But if companies start capital expenditures again. . .

Even the PE can be a misleading metric when profits are falling and the economy stalling. SUNW is facing increased competition, pricing pressure, and a lousy economy on top of it.

I agree except for momentum. We all know what momentum does to PE--it renders it progressively less meaningful the more momentum there is. Of the big three, which is the most likely Naz stock to catch some momentum in an upturn? I believe it will be the one with the lowest PE, plain and simple.

jps

"We all know what momentum does to PE--it renders it progressively less meaningful the more momentum."

Momentum is dead.

The momo boys are dead.

When was the last time you saw the screaming, market-wide volatility like we had daily from September 1999 to September, 2000? That volatility was the sign of the momo boys, both up and down. Other than a few gasps from the Juniper/Broadcom diehards earlier this year, everything else has been dead for a year.

Dead.

It is no mo.

m
Still loving boring, beaten up with dividends - sell when I have a 20% gain - DLX and WOR have come and gone from my portfolio this year as examples.

rad
Well, I just got my home equity line and am ready to rumble again. What do you suggest? I need at least a $5000 return in a week so that I can pay my overwhelming credit card debt and new car loan, not to mention the three mortgages and home owner's association dues. And I want to put in a full bathroom in my cabana. Also, my annual country club dues are up this month. Forget $5000 return, I need at $10,000 in a week. I figure if I double up on Oracle at $16 now and sell at $20 next week I'm off to a good start.

Am I posting on the right board? Maybe I should go over to Living Beyond My Means.
I bought $1000 of Geron today. It's a longshot, but it's possible.

Rick
This one has been running vurry nicely of late:

http://quote.fool.com/Chart/chart.asp?osymb=&osymbols=pagi&symbols=pagi&currticker=PAGI&time=2yr&uf=0&compidx=aaaaa%7E0&ma=0&symb=pagi&freq=1dy&lf=1&comp=&type=128&sid=177584

If you like low PEs you may have missed the boat. The PE was 4.5 when I bought a couple years ago, but it's now a sky-high 6.7.

They refurbish and retrofit airframes and repair aircraft. I own more of this now than Intel. Kroger will be the next to pass INTC.

Yes, SUNW is actually less expensive than MSFT right now. One to watch, if not to buy today. If the PE gets into the 20s next week, however, I will buy.

So, it's cheap.
What's so great about SUNW ?
Doesn't Java kinda' suck ?

Jimbo

My motives are ulterior.
Am I posting on the right board? Maybe I should go over to Living Beyond My Means.

No, no.
Stay right here.
You're in the right place.
Have another drink.
It'll help.

Jimbo
No. of Recommendations: 2
I bought $1000 of Geron today. It's a longshot, but it's possible.

Good luck: 90% federal-funded stem cell research.

Jimbo

No. of Recommendations: 2

So, it's cheap.
What's so great about SUNW ?
Doesn't Java kinda' suck ?

Doesn't Windows? Don't Ford Tauruses and Saturns and Wonder Bread?

jps

Good luck: 90% federal-funded stem cell research.

Yes, but I'm told they have a lock on many of the lines. One of them might be the uber-strand. It's a bet, not an investment and it will take years.

Rick
<<I bought $1000 of Geron today. It's a longshot, but it's possible.>>

What happened to NUFO, Hot Tub Boy?

Personally, I'm putting my hot tub money in the tub and leaving out the middle man, Mr. Market.

Personally, I'm putting my hot tub money in the tub and leaving out the middle man, Mr. Market.

Spare cash and change is going into Fr Francs and Pesetas for me. The vig at the Bonaventure is only 1%. The FRF could be worth up to 80% more than it is now if the past is prelude.

Maybe when they close Griffith Park Observatory down for three years in December, the City will consider NUFO lasers for that bichen Pink Floyd Lasarium show that's only abot 30 years old.

jeanpaulsartre
And I want to put in a full bathroom in my cabana.

Next time the merkin's out of town, have the TILF over for a long weekend. He's handy.

Pimp6
Doesn't Windows? Don't Ford Tauruses and Saturns and Wonder Bread?

Yes, sure.

But what will not suck is the X-box.

6, new mantra

Fcuk PS2
Fcuk PS2
Fcuk PS2

<<Personally, I'm putting my hot tub money in the tub and leaving out the middle man, Mr. Market.

Spare cash and change is going into Fr Francs and Pesetas for me. The vig at the Bonaventure is only 1%. The FRF could be worth up to 80% more than it is now if the past is prelude.

Maybe when they close Griffith Park Observatory down for three years in December, the City will consider NUFO lasers for that bichen Pink Floyd Lasarium show that's only abot 30 years old.

jeanpaulsartre>>

Actually, I am $$$MR. MARKET$$$. Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.

http://hometown.aol.com/ebarsamian
No. of Recommendations: 3
I never would have guessed Mr Market was strong enough right now to bench 370. I guess I am clueless.

So tell me, Mr Market, does hot water freeze faster than cold water when placed in a freezer at the same time?

Dr Thermo

I never would have guessed Mr Market was strong enough right now to bench 370. I guess I am clueless.

I hear that Sunshine in Singapore, all 120 pounds of him, does reps at that weight. In fact, he does it free bar.

Dr Thermo, I haven't laughed that much at something online in a couple of years, thanks.

jps