Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Some of the fun in CAPS is stealing ideas from some of the best players in the game - whether it be Russell, TMFBent, downwithpumpers and others. Heck, TMFBreakerDan has made a CAPS career on being a serial thief. I'm not ashamed to admit I steal from them on a regular basis. Their picks often nicely supplement my own DD and my own researched picks.

However another source of great ideas is top mutual fund managers' holdings. The key is to find managers who espouse a value bent, and have good returns over time. These kind of managers tend to have a similar style to mine, so the picks are within my circle of competence.

There is a nice Morningstar article that covers quite a few managers here:

Top holdings include TYC and Dell (I own shares).

http://news....sp?id=173217

I also follow the following funds:

CGM Focus

Dodge and Cox

Fairholme

Legg Mason Value Trust

Meridian Value

RS Value

First Eagle Global A

Third Avenue Value (my favorite)

Steven Mandel at Lone Pine Capital via SEC filings

So I guess my question is: Who would you add to the list?

Steve

Print the post Back To Top

Great list: I'd add Vanguard Primecap and Vanguard Healthcare. These would go to the top of my list.

--jk

Jake,

Thanks for the additions - they look great I agree. I am thinking about adding Longleaf too, but they always seem a little too far out for me to grok what they are doing.

'grok' what they are doing? You a Heinlein fan or something? :-)

Not really - it's just a fun word to use. :)

My taste in sci-fi runs more towards Harlan Ellison, early Stephenson, and Bruce Sterling these days...

I had a "Technoculture and Cyberpunk" literature class at Georgetown, fantastic experience. I was introduced to Sterling and Stephenson there and to this day count Stephenson among my favorite authors. Even the new stuff actually, although Snow Crash remains tops for me.

Also, I would add Chieftan Capital to your list, very long term bent, very intrinsic value focused, and very very intelligent about their investees (they have to be with only 5 or so holdings at a time...) Here's a talk the head of Chieftan gave to the Columbia MBA class that Greenwald runs... http://tinyurl.com/y4qwh8

Man, I would have loved to take that class too - that would have rocked. I loved Snow Crash, thought Cryptonomicon (I tried to spell it right), was very good, and everything else just went downhill from there. It is a shame.

Thanks for the rec on Chieftan, I will have to check them out.

Steve